• On August 31, Ronald “Ronnie” Merle McNutt livestreamed his death from suicide to Facebook LIVE
  • The video has since gone viral on social media platforms as some look to watch the video and others warn against it
  • Following the viral attention, there have been false claims the death was faked and at least two different crowdfunding scams

On August 31, Ronald “Ronnie” Merle McNutt died from suicide in his home of New Albany, Mississippi. McNutt livestreamed the death to Facebook LIVE and now almost a week later the “Ronnie McNutt suicide video” has gone viral on multiple social media platforms.

McNutt is seen in the video sitting at a desk as people attempt to call him. His mother, Elaine Rooker Mcnutt, appears to be the first to call. “Even my own mother,” McNutt says. “Oh mama, I know you’re listening… You’re watching because it is a good show. But you didn’t even reach out to me,” McNutt says.

Around this point in the video, you can see the barrel of the rifle McNutt would later use to take his own life. McNutt goes on to say a man named “Buck” would not give him a job. According to HOODSITE, which is currently hosting the video, McNutt had lost his job and his girlfriend. The video has been bringing enough traffic to clog up the site’s servers. On Monday an admin for HOODSITE wrote, “a lot of new visitors overnight, clogging up the servers… additional machines spinning up – buffering should be resolved shortly.”

Towards the end of the video, McNutt answers his phone and says, “Yeah you want to talk to me now?” The call appears to drop. McNutt picks up the call a second time and again says, “Yeah you wanna talk to me now?” He then says, “Oh is that the way you are gonna be,” before hanging up the phone. McNutt then says, “Hey guys. I guess that’s it.” He then fires one shot from the rifle into his head. Moments later law enforcement officers are seen entering the residence.

There have already been a couple of hoaxes following the video’s viral attention. A fake McNutt account has claimed the video was faked. A screenshot of the claim has been passed around on social media. In the comments, the account writes, “I faked my own death because life fucking sucks you know, i wanted to go away and i actually edited the video and made it into a live, i was talking to my mom during the live, and i feel better but i still wanna get away from this world.”

Another user replies, “please tell me your not joking?” The fake McNutt account replies, “im not joking, i faked my death and will make a new FB account and go live on it to prove that im actually alive and not dead.”

The claim that McNutt is alive is not true. McNutt’s obituary says he died on August 31. According to McMillan Funeral Home, a “Celebration of Life Service” was held on Wednesday, September 2, at 2:00 pm. McNutt was buried at Snowdown Church of Christ Cemetery following the service.

Two Facebook posts from Elaine show the sort of emotional damage that can be caused when the Internet grabs ahold of a tragedy with no regard for those involved. In one post Elaine writes, “I hope every one of you that are getting your “kicks” from watching the video of my son ending his life rot in HELL!!!”

Shortly later, Elaine made a second post addressing scammers trying to illegitimately crowdfund money from McNutt’s death. “None of the “GoFundMe” accounts for Ronnie are legitimate!!!! Do not donate!! So many sicko’s. scum of the earth people!!!! HELL has a special place for them!!!!”

While it is not clear when Elaine made her posts, there are currently at least two live Go Fund Me campaigns related to McNutt’s death. One campaign claims to be made by “Mark Mcnutt,” a name that does not appear in McNutt’s obituary. The campaign was created on Monday and claims it is donating money to “benefit Suicide Prevention Initiatives.” Another campaign created on Monday by “Richard Gray” claims to be raising money for McNutt’s family. The campaign has a $20,000 goal. As of now, the family has not announced any crowdfunding campaigns connected to McNutt’s death.

var sg1=d.createElement(s),sg0=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];
if(SGPMPopupLoader && SGPMPopupLoader.ids && SGPMPopupLoader.ids.length > 0){SGPMPopupLoader.ids.push(id); return;}
sg1.onload = function(){SGPMPopup.openSGPMPopup();}; sg1.async=true; sg1.src=l;
return {};


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here